The other weekend I was experimenting in my kitchen, which is a typical weekend for me. I reached out and asked for suggestions on things that people want to know how to make a healthier version. One of those was lasagna. As you already know, I love Italian food. So, I was excited to make a lasagna that is grain free and dairy free.
3 zucchini squash
1 lb ground turkey
8 oz tomato sauce
6 oz tomato paste
3/4 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup onion
3 garlic cloves, diced
3 tbsp basil leaves
3 tbsp parsley
3 tbsp oregano
2 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Use a mandolin slicer and cut long strips of zucchini and eggplant. I used 1/4″ thickness to make thin “zoodles”. If you don’t have a mandolin slicer, cut long, uniform slices. Set aside.
3. Heat a skillet on medium high heat. Brown the ground turkey. Set aside.
4. Sauté onion and garlic cloves. Put meat back in to skillet. Add 8 oz of tomato sauce and 1/4 cup coconut milk. Stir and combine well.
5. Add 2 tbsp each of basil, parsley, and oregano. Lower heat medium low. Allow to simmer for about 5 minutes.
6. Line the bottom of a long baking dish with a layer of zucchini. Top with a layer of eggplant. Place a light layer of meat. Add another layer of zucchini, eggplant, and meat.
7. In a medium sauce pan, or reuse the skillet, add tomato paste and the 1/2 cup coconut milk. Simmer on low heat for about 5-7 minutes. Add 1 tbsp basil, parsley, and oregano. Add 2 tbsp garlic powder.
8. Spread sauce evenly on the top layer.
9. Cover dish with tin foil and bake in oven for 25 minutes. After that time, take the tin foil off and bake for an additional 15 minutes.