If you can’t tell already, I love Italian food. I mean, Italy is one of my favorite countries, so it should come as no surprise. When I think of Italian food, aside from the fresh ingredients, I also think about breadsticks. I always loved dipping breadsticks in robust tomato sauces. I decided to come up with a gluten free, paleo-friendly version. These breadsticks are gluten free and grain free. They are light and crisp. Perfect to pair with your favorite Italian main dish, like my Gnocchi with White Truffle Basil Sauce!
1 cup almond meal
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp coconut four
3 tbsp arrowroot powder
½ tbsp oregano
½ tbsp basil
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine almond flour, 1 tbsp garlic powder, 1 tbsp olive oil, and egg. Mix well.
3. Add coconut flour. Allow to stand for about 2-3 minutes.
4. Add 1 tbsp of arrowroot powder. Roll dough into palm sized dough balls.
5. Place a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet and set aside.
6. Use a silpat or another piece of parchment paper on down on the counter top or a table to roll out the dough balls. Place about ½ tbsp of arrowroot powder onto the surface. Use your hands to roll the dough into long lines. Make sure to not roll them too thin, or they will break when trying to braid.
7. Place three next to each other and follow a braiding pattern of taking the outside over the middle. When finished, place on parchment lined baking sheet. Repeat until used all the dough.
8. Use the leftover ½ tbsp of olive oil to brush the tops of the breadsticks. Sprinkle with the ½ tbsp garlic powder, oregano, and basil.
9. Bake for 13-15 minutes, until golden brown.