My favorite kinds of desserts are usually citrus in flavor. Particularly, I love lemon flavored desserts! It is officially spring time now since “Spring Forward” occurred this past weekend. I dislike loosing the hour, but at least it was Sunday, so it didn’t effect me lounging around in the morning like I typically do on Sunday mornings. It is the day that I take to relax. Anyways, I love spring. It is one of my favorite seasons back home because it is the time of year when the sun coaxes the flowers to bloom. Especially, tulips. Nothing says springs like tulips. I was feeling very “spring” like so I decided to venture into making lemon curd tarts. They are a new favorite of mine! I don’t typically eat much of the desserts I make, but these, I will most definitely enjoy.
2 cups almond flour
1 tsp salt
2/3 cup palm shortening
6 tbsp of cold water
½ tsp baking soda
2 tbsp coconut flour
2 tbsp honey
½ tbsp cinnamon
3 egg whites
¼ cup honey
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix the crust ingredients in a large bowl.
3. Take a handful of dough and model to the tart pan. The key is to keep your fingers moist with water to keep the dough from sticking. Be patient when molding. Bake in oven for 5 minutes.
4. Combine lemon curd ingredients in a heat safe dish. Heat a saucepan of water on high until boiling. Place the heat safe bowl on top. Whisk for 10 minutes continually. The curd will be done when it is light yellow and has thickened, like a hollandaise sauce. It is important to continue to whisk so that it does not curdled.
5. Spoon lemon curd into semi-cooked tarts until it almost reaches the top.
6. Bake in oven for 10 minutes. The sides will be browned, but not burned and the lemon curd will still jiggle a little in the middle.
7. While the tarts with lemon curd are baking, make the meringue by adding the egg whites to a bowl. With a hand mixer, mix the egg whites until peaks form. This will take around 7 minutes. You will know it is done when you can lift the beaters and peaks form.
8. Add the honey to the meringue to give it a sweeter flavor. Mix until it is combined.
9. Once the tarts have cooked, add the meringue on top filling to the sides. Bake for another 5 minutes until browned on top.