I love homes fries! However, white potatoes are not my friend anymore. I tend to limit my intake on this dietary starch. So I like use alternatives in place of potatoes, which lend to the texture and stomach fulfilling deliciousness of potatoes. Potatoes are often the go to starch to compliment a meal. Now, I like to enjoy butternut squash instead. Butternut Squash has high levels of Vitamin A and carotenes, which are great for the skin and eye health. It is low calorie and high in dietary fiber. The combination of ingredients in this dish are great to fuel to start the day. The carbs and protein will get your body primed and ready to go. This recipe is such an awesome combination of savory and sweet! Give this breakfast side a try and it will become an instant favorite in the house!
2 cups butternut squash, cubed
1 1/2 cups apples, diced
¼ cup onion, chopped
¼ cup slivered almonds
¼ cup mushrooms
2 TBSP olive oil
½ tsp cracked pepper
4- 5 slices of bacon
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Cube butternut squash. Spread evenly over the parchment paper. Place in oven and bake, turning every 5 minutes, to brown the squash. Total cooking time is about 15 minutes.
3. On another baking sheet, lay out slices of bacon. Bake in oven for 10 minutes. (Place the sheet of bacon on the lower shelf of the oven so both came be cooked at the same time.)
4. Heat a large skillet on medium high heat. Add olive oil.
5. Chop onion and add to skillet. Add mushrooms. Sauté until onion is translucent and mushrooms are soft.
6. Dice apples into small cubes. Add to skillet and stir.
7. Remove bacon from oven and set to the side. When squash is browned, remove from oven and add to the skillet. Stir well.
8. Break up the bacon into pieces. Add to skillet.
9. Add pepper and slivered almonds. Mix well.
10. Allow to continue to cook for about 7-10 minutes. (Apples and squash should be soft.)
Mark’s Daily Apple has a wonderful illustration of how potatoes react in the body and he even nerds out with a comparison to Lord of the Rings! Which, for those who know me understand my love of series like Lord of the Rings. Check it out!