According to the guy on the radio it’s officially summer time!! However, I don’t think that summer ever really ends in Southern California. (I know, first world problems, or rather SoCal problem.) For everyone else out there who gets to experience seasons, dust off those grills!!
When I was in college, we used to grill almost every night during summer. There was something so refreshing about the simple foods, the good time with friends, and enjoying the summer evenings outside. This recipe is great for the whole family to help put together. It is perfect for cookouts. The mix of vibrant colored veggies and the delicious tropical taste of pineapple makes me feel like I’m on an island oasis.
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp oregano
½ tsp chili powder
½ tsp paprika
2 tbsp olive oil
1 ½ lbs steak, cubed
2 tbsp lime juice
1 pineapple, peeled, cored, and cubed
1 green pepper
1 red pepper
24 pearl onions
1. Mix all the spices in a small bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, pour olive oil on to the steak. Mix to coat. Rub the spice mixture over the pieces of steak. Add lime juice. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in frig for about 30 minutes.
3. While steak marinates, chop the pineapple and bell peppers. Cube the pineapple and peppers so they will fit on the skewers. Peel the pearl onions.
4. Build skewers, alternating between all the ingredients. Note: When I construct my skewers, I typically put the onion next to the steak because it helps to keep the steak moist during cooking and gives the steak extra flavor.
5. Grill for about 7-10 minutes, making sure to turn the skewers every few minutes.
*This recipes makes about 8-9 skewers*