One of my favorite dishes in the whole world has always been macaroni and cheese. I will admit that it has been hard shunning this once beloved dish. However, my health is significantly better sans dairy and pasta. I still find myself yearning for it from time to time. My mom used to make my favorite version, so I decided to take that classic recipe and put a dairy free spin on it.
It is not always practical during the week to make my own vegan cheese or pasta. So, in this instance, I bought some gluten free pasta and vegan cheese at the grocery store. However, the key is still to read labels and buy high quality alternatives. There are some who claim raw dairy as being paleo friendly, so if that is your thing then purchase a good raw cheese to use for this recipe. It typically does not have the same “side effects” that pasteurized dairy contains. Otherwise, purchase a vegan cheddar cheese, preferably made with agar agar flakes, which is a naturally occurring algae.
This version of Macaroni and Cheese is a healthier alternative to other versions out there. It is a great dish to take to barbeques and picnics this summer.
3 tbsp ghee
¼ cup almond flour
2 tbsp arrowroot flour
1 tsp sea salt
½ tsp dry mustard
¼ tsp pepper
1 ½ cups coconut milk
2 cups vegan cheddar cheese
1 box gluten free pasta, cooked 6 minutes and drained
“Bread” Crumb Topping:
¼ cup almond flour
½ tsp sea salt
½ tsp parsley
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp onion powder
½ tsp dried basil
½ dried oregano
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a large saucepan, cook gluten free pasta in about 4 cups of water for 6 minutes. Drain pasta.
3. Melt ghee on low heat in sauce pan. Add almond flour, dry mustard, salt, pepper, arrowroot.
4. Add coconut milk and raise heat to medium. Stir continually over medium heat and bring to a slow boil. Cook for about 10 minutes, allowing sauce to thicken.
5. Add in vegan cheese. Continue to stir until melted.
6. Pour drained pasta into a glass baking dish.
7. Pour sauce mixture on top of pasta. Use a spoon to mix the sauce in with the pasta.
8. Use a small bowl and combine the “bread” crumb topping ingredients. Sprinkle across the top of the macaroni.
9. Bake dish for 20 – 25 minutes.