I know that you saw the name of this post a were instantly intrigued, or you saw a photo on Twitter/Facebook. Twinkies are that elusive dessert that we all love to hate. The yellow sponge cake filled with cream is jokingly rumored to be one of the only things able to survive a nuclear holocaust. I can’t promise that this Paleo friendly, gluten free, dairy free option that I have come up with can do that, but it will certainly satisfy that craving you have when you see the shiny packaging in the store. The sponge cake combined with the sweet cream filling is excellent.
My quest to complete this recipe started when I saw a “Twinkie” pan in Bed, Bath, and Beyond on sale for $7.99. I couldn’t pass up that deal. It has set in my kitchen for months now, just waiting to be used. I had written out a recipe, but had other things on my plate that had pushed off my experimentation. I decided the other weekend to go ahead and dive it. They came out perfect the first time. Score!
6 eggs, room temperature
½ cup honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup coconut flour
¼ tsp sea salt
½ tsp baking soda
½ cup palm shortening
¼ tsp cream of tartar
1. Place the eggs in a bowl of warm water for about 20 minutes to bring them to room temperature. This is an important step! Don’t skip it.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use a little coconut oil or olive oil to grease the pan.
3. In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
4. In a small bowl, use a hand mixer to beat the eggs for about 2 minutes, to put some air into them. Add the shortening and other liquid ingredients. Use the hand mixer to combine.
5. Using the hand mixer, slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Whip until smooth and the batter is light and airy. This should only take a few minutes.
6. Add batter to mold, about ¾ full. Use the back of a spoon or a small spatula to even out the batter in the mold.
7. Bake for 14-16 minutes, until tops are golden. Allow to cool in pan.
½ cup palm shortening
2/3 cup full fat coconut milk, room temperature (or the 5.46 fl oz can)
2 tbsp coconut flour
3 tbsp honey
2 tbsp palm sugar
1 tbsp arrowroot powder
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1. Use a hand mixer to combine all the ingredients.
2. Place in refrigerator for 10-15 minutes. Use the hand mixer again to whip.
3. Use a pastry filler to inject frosting into Twinkie.