So, what do you get when you mix Hazelnut and Chocolate?? NUTELLA!!
I was first introduced to this wonderful creation when I studied abroad in high school. I had never had anything like it before and it certainly contributed to the weight I gained while calling Europe my home. It wasn’t too long after that that I discovered Nutella in grocery stores here in the U.S. It has made it’s way over. Perhaps it was here before my European adventures and I didn’t notice it. I’m not 100 percent sure. I just remembered the effect it had on my waist line. Therefore, I have stayed away from the concoction.
Since going Paleo, I have stayed away from this spread and the bread that I used to slather it on. I still see it in the store from time to time and it brings back so many fond memories. I love hazelnuts and who doesn’t love chocolate. I decided that I wanted to make my own blend of these two ingredients into something that would bring all those memories to the surface without being packed full of refined sugars and other toxic ingredients. I settled on making it into a fudge. Thus, this chocolate hazelnut fudge was conceived, or as I lovingly call it “Nutella” Fudge.
1 ½ cup hazelnuts
3 tbsp macadamia nut oil
½ cup honey, plus 1 tbsp
1 tbsp vanilla extract
½ cup dark chocolate chips
3 tbsp coconut oil
1. Pulse hazelnuts in a food processor until broken down into a meal texture.
2. Add 2 tbsp macadamia nut oil. Put the food processor on low and allow everything to mix. While running, stream in the ½ cup of honey. It will be a nut butter consistency.
3. On low heat, melt the dark chocolate, 1 tbsp macadamia nut oil, 1 tbsp honey, and vanilla extract.
4. Once melted, add hazelnut butter and coconut oil. Mix until well combined.
5. In a parchment lined loaf pan or baking dish, pour in fudge base. Use a spatula to even out.
6. Place in frig for at least 2 hours to set.
7. Cut and serve.