It’s that time of year when Pumpkin Spice abounds! Candles, Coffee, Cakes, Everything Pumpkin Spice!! And it’s one of my favorite times. I used to look forward to the changing leaves and the crisp air that would settle over the East Coast. Now I live in constant state of summer since taking up residence in Southern California. I know, first world problems. I still embrace the seasons as much as I can. One of the things I love is pumpkin!
I came up with this recipe last year, but it was kind of past the season when we started Little Sprouts Kitchen. So I have been hanging on to this gem. But tis the season now, so here are Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Buttercream frosting and bacon sprinkles.
Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes:
1 ½ cup almond meal
1 ½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp each of ginger, nutmeg, allspice, cloves, salt, and baking powder
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp baking soda
5 tbsp coconut oil
1 cup palm sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup pumpkin puree
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Sift flour and spices together. Mix wet ingredients in separate bowl.
3. Combine the two.
4. Place liners in cupcake pan. Fill each liner about 2/3 full.
5. Bake for about 15 minutes. Allow to cool completely before icing.
Salted Caramel Buttercream:
½ cup full fat coconut milk
1 tbsp sea salt
3 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup coconut cream
1/3 cup palm shortening, solid
¼ cup maple syrup
1. Mix the maple syrup, coconut cream, and coconut milk.
2. Using a hand mixer, add the palm shortening and mix until a buttercream begins to form.
3. Add the remaining ingredients.
4. Frost cupcakes.
3 pieces of bacon
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Place bacon on baking sheet.
3. Bake for about 10 minutes.
4. Allow bacon to cool completely before breaking into sprinkles. Top cupcakes with bacon.