I don’t know anyone who doesn’t love the biscuits from Red Lobster. I am one of them! That’s for sure. I honestly can’t remember the last time I set foot in a Red Lobster, but it doesn’t mean that I don’t think about those cheddar bay biscuits that they are famous for. I was roaming Target a few weeks back and saw a boxed version. And typically when I see boxed versions, the first thing that comes to my mind is that I can do it better.
I think that I have accomplished just that. I had made a dairy free, grain free version of these biscuits that are a great side for dinner. The combination of nutritional yeast and Vitamin C crystals provide the “cheddar” flavor. The Vitamin C crystals can typically be found in the supplement section of a health foods or farmer’s market style store.
1 cup almond flour
¼ cup coconut flour
¼ tsp baking soda
1/3 cup coconut milk
Pinch of salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp flax meal
1 tsp garlic powder
1 ½ tsp vitamin c crystals
4 tbsp nutritional yeast
¼ cup palm shortening
1 tbsp coconut oil
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp dried parsley
½ tsp nutritional yeast
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients and spices. Add eggs and coconut oil. Mix well.
3. Add shortening. Mix until well combined.
4. Using a tablespoon drop biscuits onto baking sheet about an inch apart.
5. Mix the topping ingredients in a separate bowl. Sprinkle on top of each biscuit.
6. Bake for about 12 – 15 minutes, until golden brown.