It is almost Christmas!! I can’t believe that it is almost here. Despite all my lists and planning, I must admit that I am not finished with my shopping yet. The rain storms we had sort of threw a monkey wrench into things. I guess that is one of the downsides of all the malls being outdoors. However, it is okay because I still have a few more days until I see my family.
Christmas is such a magical time. Starting on Black Friday every year, I start bopping to the holiday music and getting my festive decorating on. Work has been quiet busy, so I have not done as much baking lately as I would like. I had to get something in though before the holiday.
I thought I would come up with a festive recipe that was a little different. Everyone is making cookies right now, so I thought why not mini-cupcakes! I love the little bite sized nature of mini-cupcakes. I hope that everyone will too. These will be a great little addition to your holiday dessert tray.
It has been a wonderful first year of Little Sprouts Kitchen. I am really excited that this project has grown so much over the past 12 months. Thank you to everyone for all the support. I look forward to another year of creating and sharing recipes. Merry Christmas Everyone and Happy New Year!!
Peppermint Chocolate Cupcakes
4 eggs, room temperature
2 tsp coconut flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
2 cups almond flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup coconut oil
3/4 cup honey
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp peppermint extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Fill cupcake pan with liners, or use a little extra coconut oil to grease the cupcake pan.
2. In a stand mixer, or a large bowl with hand mixer, combine eggs, vanilla extract, honey, and coconut oil. Mix until well combined.
3. In a small bowl, combine the coconut flour, almond flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder.
4. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Mix until well combined.
5. Finally, add in the peppermint extract.
6. Fill the cupcakes about 3/4 full.
7. For mini cupcakes, bake for about 9 minutes. For regular cupcakes bake about 20 minutes.
8. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
Peppermint Vanilla Frosting
1 cup palm shortening
2 tbsp arrowroot powder
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp peppermint extract
1. In a medium sized bowl, use a spatula to fold the arrowroot powder into the palm shortening.
2. Add honey and extracts. Use a hand mixer to beat the frosting.
3. Place the bowl into refrigerator for 20 minutes.
4. Fill a pastry bag with the frosting.
5. Start in the middle and work the frosting into a circle around the outside. Make additional, smaller circle until the top.