Summers growing up were some of my fondest memories. I loved the warm air, chasing fireflies, and playing games of hide and seek. I also loved bonfires! I remember one summer we went camping. Back then it wasn’t really my thing, but I had a blast on that occasion. For dinner that night, we made “hobo dinners”. That is what we called cooking in tin foil roasters in the campfire coals. There were many a summer nights in the backyard of our house that we had bonfires and made these. I was reminiscing the other day and decided to make one in my oven.
One of the great things about these dinners is that you can let you imagination go wild. As kids, my mom would set out all the ingredients and we got to compile them, making this meal a great group activity to get the family involved. Even at the youngest ages!
The good news is, a campfire is not needed. These can be baked in the oven or cooked on the grill. This recipe is going to be a little different. Since it is your imagination, or should I say stomach, that builds this recipe I will provide some suggestions to stuff into the tin foil roaster to go along with the core ingredients. It is kind of great because this recipe can also be used to clean out leftover vegetables in the refrigerator at the end of the week. So let your hunger be your guide as your family builds this awesome, interactive dinner.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees or the grill.
2. For each meal, lay out a piece of tin foil about 15 inches long.
3. In each tin foil roaster, lay down a bed of diced onions in the middle. Add a bit of hamburger meat. Top meat with ½ tbsp of oil and ½ tbsp of each of the spices.
4. Add additional ingredients, like the photo with bell peppers, cilantro, and jalapenos. There is a long list of things to toss in for this dinner, so let your imagination wonder.
5. Once all the ingredients have been selected, fold the long edges of the tin foil towards the middle so that they overlap a little. On the short edges, roll until it closes the roaster.
6. Place each dinner on the grill or in the oven. Cook for about 15-20 minutes.