I love embracing the seasons! Not only is the produce cheaper, but it sets the mood at home. For Fall, I love to cook with butternut squash. I was in the mood for a stew, since it is starting to get a little colder here in Southern California. (I know that it is a relative statement, but I got to put on tights the other day and was really excited about it!!) Everyone also knows by now how much I use my slow cooker and depend on it during the week. This recipe was everything that I wanted it to be: Fall in a Stew!
3 cloves of garlic
1/4 cup onion
1 tbsp walnut oil
2-3 chicken breasts
1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
1 yam, cubed
4 cups of water or chicken broth
1 bay leaf
3 tsp oregano
2 tsp parsley
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1. In a skillet, sauté the onion and garlic in the walnut oil.
2. Line the bottom of the crockpot with whole chicken breasts.
3. Top with butternut squash and yam.
4. Pour in water or broth.
5. Top with spices. Add the sautéed onions and garlic. Stir everything to combine well.
6. Cook on low for 7-8 hours.