I love tacos! However, as much as I my heart would love to eat them all the time, that doesn’t exactly scream “Best Health Choice”. So, I decided to use bell peppers instead of tortillas. This recipe is kind of a different perspective on a stuffed pepper. Topped with some delicious additions like avocado and hot sauce, this really hits the spot when I am craving this kind of dish. The best news is that it is Whole 30, for those of you out there who are working your way through that program at the beginning of the year.
4-6 bell peppers
1 lb ground beef (or turkey)
3 cloves garlic, diced
1/4 cup onion, diced
1 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic
1/4 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Preheat a skillet on medium heat.
2. Slice bell peppers in half. Clean out steams and seeds on the inside. Place on a baking sheet with the open side face down.
3. Bake bell peppers in oven for about 10-12 minutes. Remove and set aside.
4. While the peppers are baking, add garlic and onion to the skillet. Sauté for about 2 minutes, until fragrant.
5. Add ground meat to the skillet and brown. Drain off the fat once cooked.
6. In a small bowl, combine the taco seasoning ingredients. Sprinkle about 1/2 tsp at a time on top of the browned beef, stirring each time to make sure it is well seasoned. Once done, add lime juice. Stir.
7. Fill the bell peppers with the taco mixture. Place back into oven and bake for 10 minutes.
8. Add on optional toppings and serve.